Nevermind...paci's back

Okay, so we totally caved....lol. He was doing okay without the paci for naps, but nighttime was really hard. In his little mind, it is a trigger for bedtime, so we were have a really hard time getting him to lay down and go to sleep. He just kept wanting to play! Then, when we'd put him in his crib like we've always done, he'd cry and cry. Saturday night I went out to dinner with girlfriends and Shane wrestled with him for almost an hour and finally gave in. Yesterday-no paci. But, I just gave in for his nap. So, we're pretty much confusing the heck out him! Poor little thing! I guess we'll take a step back for awhile and try again another time. I need to come up with something that can be a substitute for it in our night-night routine.

2 comments:

  1. Kami -- not that you need my two cents -- but he isn't ready it seems. For your own sanity and peace of mind, I hope you don't feel guilty about giving it to him. Jordan got rid of her pacifier at 2 yrs 6 months -- it was so easy it was unbelievable. We went on a trip and I told her I forgot it. She made it all weekend without it and I called home and told Christopher to hide the others before we got home. We told her we didn't have any and that was the end of the story. Katelyn just turned 2 and I was going to let hers keep her until the same age. However a couple of weeks ago, she had bit off the ends of all of them and I refused to buy anymore -- expensive plus I was fearful she would choke on the end. At two, she seems to understand so much more now and continues to do so every day. What I'm saying is when the last one broke, we told her the binky was broke and there were no more. She got it. She understood it. She would ask and we would say it was broke -- she would reply "Binky broke" and we would say yes. That was it. No tears. Nothing. Like Jordan, it was so easy. They were both ready. Don't get too upset; he will be ready and you will know it. I don't believe in any set deadline for having to do something. Just look back at your carseat picture where you refused to turn him around in the car - he he. You didn't follow timelines then so don't worry about it now. See what my two cents is worth - ha!! Love the Christmas pics by the way and can't wait to see the ones with Jill and Marty.

     
  2. Well...my big thing was that I didn't want it to alter his speech or teeth development. That's the main reason why we keep the paci's to the bed only. He was a late talker anyways and I didn't want anything else to get in his way. But, the pediatrician wasn't worried about him only having it in the bed at 18 months so I'm not feeling guilty about it. Just a little disappointed that it's not the right time yet. Does that make sense?

    I believe that there are windows when things are easier for them to transition into or out of. That's how we adjusted into letting him fall asleep on his own, stopping nursing, etc. I just go with my gut. A lot of people gave me a hard time for nursing him until 16 months (and said we should have stopped at 12 mos) but you have to do what's right for your family. Nothing is ever seemless...but just that there are times when they are more open to it.

    I really appreciate your feedback and can totally see your point about waiting until they are old enough to process things and understand. It sounds like that worked great for you guys!! We'll have to see if it goes as well for us : )